Providing tools and support to families, citizens, and activists to counter our consumerist culture and to create new social norms about how to have a high quality of life and a reduced ecological footprint.
We work too much, we consume too much, we don’t have enough time for friends and family, and we’re constantly being bombarded with marketers' manipulative messages. It’s time to build an economy and culture that are centered on maximizing well-being rather than on excess consumption.
New Dream provides tools to help families and individuals rein in consumerism in everyday life. You'll find resources like:
- SoKind, which allows you to create "alternative" gift registries focused less on stuff and more on family, fun, and friends.
- Our Simplify the Holidays campaign, with tips for creating less wasteful and more meaningful holiday celebrations.
- Kids Unbranded, our campaign to help parents and educators reduce commercialism at home and in schools.
- Our Reducing Plastics campaign, with resources and tips to help you eliminate bottled water and plastic bags in your community.
- Our video, "The High Price of Materialism," in which psychologist Tim Kasser discusses how consumerism undermines well-being.
Halloween is big business. But why not direct your energy, spending, and creativity toward a greener, simpler holiday? »Read More
Two sets of dishware, two sets of camping gear, two toasters? If you don't need more "stuff," register to celebrate love and family instead. »Read More
Here are 10 tips for boosting your style while avoiding the traps of fast fashion. »Read More