Providing tools and support to families, citizens, and activists to counter our consumerist culture and to create new social norms about how to have a high quality of life and a reduced ecological footprint.
We work too much, we consume too much, we don’t have enough time for friends and family, and we’re constantly being bombarded with marketers' manipulative messages. It’s time to build an economy and culture that are centered on maximizing well-being rather than on excess consumption.
New Dream provides tools to help families and individuals rein in consumerism in everyday life. You'll find resources like:
- SoKind, which allows you to create "alternative" gift registries focused less on stuff and more on family, fun, and friends.
- Our Simplify the Holidays campaign, with tips for creating less wasteful and more meaningful holiday celebrations.
- Kids Unbranded, our campaign to help parents and educators reduce commercialism at home and in schools.
- Our Reducing Plastics campaign, with resources and tips to help you eliminate bottled water and plastic bags in your community.
- Our video, "The High Price of Materialism," in which psychologist Tim Kasser discusses how consumerism undermines well-being.
It’s not always easy to come up with a meaningful gift to show our moms how much they mean to us. Here are five gift ideas they're sure to love. »Read More
Challenge yourself to create an Easter basket that will produce no garbage that would be sent to landfill. »Read More
Easter doesn't have to be yet another commercialized, excessive celebration. You can still participate in all the fun without the waste and stress. »Read More