Providing tools and support to families, citizens, and activists to counter our consumerist culture and to create new social norms about how to have a high quality of life and a reduced ecological footprint.
We work too much, we consume too much, we don’t have enough time for friends and family, and we’re constantly being bombarded with marketers' manipulative messages. It’s time to build an economy and culture that are centered on maximizing well-being rather than on excess consumption.
New Dream provides tools to help families and individuals rein in consumerism in everyday life. You'll find resources like:
- SoKind, which allows you to create "alternative" gift registries focused less on stuff and more on family, fun, and friends.
- Our Simplify the Holidays campaign, with tips for creating less wasteful and more meaningful holiday celebrations.
- Kids Unbranded, our campaign to help parents and educators reduce commercialism at home and in schools.
- Our Reducing Plastics campaign, with resources and tips to help you eliminate bottled water and plastic bags in your community.
- Our video, "The High Price of Materialism," in which psychologist Tim Kasser discusses how consumerism undermines well-being.
We often hear about gifts that “keep on giving,” but in the case of a microloan, it really can. A Colorado mom shares her experience. »Read More
The Black Friday shopping frenzy has become extreme enough that even a handful of retailers themselves are protesting against it. »Read More
Halloween is big business. But why not direct your energy, spending, and creativity toward a greener, simpler holiday? »Read More