Providing tools and support to families, citizens, and activists to counter our consumerist culture and to create new social norms about how to have a high quality of life and a reduced ecological footprint.
New Dream's Beyond Consumerism program provides tools to help families and individuals rein in consumerism in everyday life. You'll find resources like:
- SoKind, which allows you to create "alternative" gift registries focused less on stuff and more on family, fun, and friends.
- Our Simplify the Holidays campaign, with tips for creating less wasteful and more meaningful holiday celebrations.
- Kids Unbranded, our campaign to help parents and educators reduce commercialism at home and in schools.
- Our Reducing Plastics campaign, with resources and tips to help you eliminate bottled water and plastic bags in your community.
- Our video, "The High Price of Materialism," in which psychologist Tim Kasser discusses how consumerism undermines well-being.
It's never too early to start planning! Many of our readers have told us that would like to host Alternative Gift Fairs in their communities, but that they often face ... »Read More
Some have called it "unrealistic," but Screen-Free Week can serve as an important opportunity for families to kick-start new habits. »Read More
Why the Toys You Choose Matter: Six Tips for Limiting Exposure to Commercialism and Encouraging Creative Play
Choosing toys and accessories carefully for your children can help them grow up to become smart consumers. »Read More