Providing tools and support to families, citizens, and activists to counter our consumerist culture and to create new social norms about how to have a high quality of life and a reduced ecological footprint.
New Dream's Beyond Consumerism program provides tools to help families and individuals rein in consumerism in everyday life. You'll find resources like:
- SoKind, which allows you to create "alternative" gift registries focused less on stuff and more on family, fun, and friends.
- Our Simplify the Holidays campaign, with tips for creating less wasteful and more meaningful holiday celebrations.
- Kids Unbranded, our campaign to help parents and educators reduce commercialism at home and in schools.
- Our Unbottle Water Campaign, with stories, media resources, and practical tips to help you eliminate bottled water in your community.
- Our animated video, "The High Price of Materialism," in which psychologist Tim Kasser discusses how America's culture of consumerism undermines our well-being.
The High Cost of Materialism
Learn how America's culture of consumerism is undermining our well-being.
Beyond Green Consumerism
What we buy matters. But what we do matters more.
Tips for Parenting in a Commercial Culture
Practical tools to push back against the onslaught of commercialism.
At school, ads can now be found on everything from team uniforms to cafeteria banners to homework folders. Learn some ways to push back. »Read More
A college senior shares his story of venturing into the unknown realm of entrepreneurship and product design to create a water bottle like no other. »Read More
An organization started by two Georgia siblings is fighting to save endangered species and clean up the environment. »Read More