5 Reasons to Celebrate Buy Nothing Day
Why celebrate Buy Nothing Day?
- If everyone in the world consumed as much as the average American, we would need 5 planet Earths. It's time to downshift.
- Thanksgiving is about appreciating and enjoying the blessings in your life - not about leaving your family right after dinner to go shopping.
- Standing around in the middle of the night in a parking lot is a pretty silly idea, if you think about it.
- No matter how amazing the sales are, you'll save more money by not shopping at all.
- The stress, rush, and hype are not worth it. How many days before the novelty of a shiny new iThing wears off? Isn't it time we focused our attention on things that are meaningful and long lasting (hint: family, friendships, community) — and don't drain our wallets?
All around the world, people will be celebrating Buy Nothing Day to take a stand against rampant consumerism and reclaim the holidays. What will you be doing on November 29?
For more about Buy Nothing Day, check out the Adbusters campaign.