Director of Outreach and Communications
New Dream is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to become the organization’s Director of Outreach and Communications. In this position, the director will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and implement short- and long-term communications plans, strategies, and campaigns to reach priority audiences.
- Create an engaging and interactive web presence, including overseeing the development of a monthly newsletter and website content that includes blogs, articles, interviews, and other materials that showcase a transition to more sustainable communities and lifestyles. This will include research and thought-leader support, staying up-to-date on a wide-range of topics, the creation of compelling stories and case studies, and identifying and reaching out to guest columnists.
- Help create and/or oversee creative communication vehicles for New Dream’s messaging from infographics, webinars, video blogs, webisodes, contests, animations, and mock ads and commercials.
- Manage media relations, including setting meetings with newspaper editors, drafting and placing opinion editorials, and pitching stories to TV and radio outlets, bloggers, and news sites in order to reach priority audiences.
- Oversee and write creative briefs, research and analyze information, prepare interactive presentations, (presentations, speeches, etc.), and produce memos and other materials (elevator talks, key messages, backgrounders).
- Work with our Director of Online Media and Engagement to develop social media strategies using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and MeetUp to engage people with high-quality content produced by New Dream and our allies.
- Help develop outreach events for New Dream, including organizing panels, lectures, workshops, and other external-facing engagement, and identifying and working with partner organizations to create events together.
- Represent and present New Dream at conferences, events, and workshops.
- Work with the director of our Collaborative Communities program to assist in communications, meetup, and outreach efforts in specific states to organize New Dream members.
The individual who fills this position will have a significant opportunity to shape programs and have the creative license to present and develop new ideas that serve New Dream’s overall vision and mission.
New Dream is a results-oriented, small-team organization with a start-up feel and a focus on a high quality of life. We have a virtual office with staff in Colorado, California, Virginia, and Maryland. This position can be remote, although we will give preference to candidates in Charlottesville, VA. At New Dream, we offer a short workweek of 32 hours/4 days. We also have a flexible work schedule so you can set your hours as needed, within reason, for your lifestyle. This position will report directly to New Dream’s Executive Director, and will work closely with the Executive Director and the entire New Dream team.
This position is currently a one-year contract, although we hope to make it a permanent salaried position after the first year. The salary range for this position at a 4 day/32 hour workweek is $40–50K depending on experience.
The successful applicant will be a highly motivated, creative, and experienced manager, comfortable juggling numerous tasks in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. The right candidate will be experienced in all aspects of communications, branding and marketing, media relations, and social media development and will be well versed in technological platforms for online communities.
We are seeking a candidate who is comfortable with a rapidly growing and changing workplace and is happy to chip in where needed to get the job done. The individual must work well with others, be self-motivated, possess a good sense of humor and upbeat attitude, and have a passion for the mission of New Dream. An additional background in design and/or strong skills in graphic design are preferred.
Please send cover letter and resume to Wendy Philleo at email@example.com before March 8, 2013.