WEBINAR RECORDING: How to Start a Time Bank
Want to exchange time and skills with your neighbors — instead of money?
Watch this free webinar to find out how!
In a time bank, a group of people agree to trade hours instead of money. An hour of cooking lessons may be exchanged for an hour of dog walking, a ride to the airport may be exchanged for childcare, and so on. Time banks are a creative way to strengthen community, promote equity, and allow everyone in the neighborhood to exchange their time and talents no matter how much money they have.
In October 2012 the Center for a New American Dream presented a free webinar about how to start up a time bank and skill exchange in your community! The webinar featured speakers from successful time banks around the country.
- Mashi Blech - Director, Community Connections TimeBank, Visiting Nurse Service of NY (New York, NY)
- Janine Christiano - Founder, Arroyo Time Bank/Co-Director, Arroyo SECO (Los Angeles, CA)
- Mira Luna - Founder, Bay Area Community Exchange (San Francisco, CA)
Click play on the video below to watch a recording of the webinar. Hear Blech, Christiano, and Luna talk about how they got their time banks off the ground, and answer questions about how you can launch one in your own town!
Additional resources for starting a time bank:
- New Dream's Guide to Sharing: Step-by-step tips on how to start a time bank, clothing swap, and more.
- National time bank networks that offer directory of existing time banks, plus support and software for new time banks:
- Seven Steps to Creating Your Time Bank by the California Federation of Time Banks
- How to Start Your Own Skillshare by Shareable
- Sustainable Economies Law Center: Legal advice for time banking and the sharing economy
Video length: Approx. 1 hour. The webinar slideshow can be downloaded here.