WEBINAR RECORDING: How to Start a Tool Library
Want to start a tool library in your neighborhood?
Watch this free webinar to find out how!
In August 2012 the Center for a New American Dream presented a free webinar about how to start up a new tool library in your community. Topics included obtaining funding, finding a location, tracking tools, navigating through legal issues, and more. The webinar featured speakers from successful tool libraries around the country.
- Mike Froehlich - Founder, West Philly Tool Library (Philadelphia, PA)
- Jason Hatch - Founder, North Portland Tool Library (Portland, OR)
- Pete McElligott - Founder, Berkeley Tool Lending Library (Berkeley, CA)
- Ty Yurgelevic - Founder, Temescal Tool Lending Library (Oakland, CA)
Click play on the video below to watch a recording of the webinar. Hear Froehlich, Hatch, McElligott, and Yurgelevic share wisdom and stories about how they got their tool libraries off the ground, and answer questions about how you can launch one in your own town!
Additional resources for starting tool libraries:
- New Dream's Guide to Sharing: Step-by-step tips on how to start a tool library, clothing swap, solar co-op, and more.
- New Dream's video on the Berkeley Tool Lending Library: Take a tour of an established tool library.
- Local Tools and Tool Librarian: Web-based applications to set up and manage lending libraries.
- Share Starter: Tool library starter kit includes guidelines, FAQs, and useful templates.
- National Tool Library Google Group: Be connected with people all over the U.S. who are involved with tool libraries.
- Tips from Baltimore's Station North Tool Library: Tips and insights from the founders of a newly opened tool library.
Video length: Approx. 1 hour. The webinar slideshow can be downloaded here.