The Research Internship at the Center for a New American Dream offers a unique opportunity to work with a small organization that helps Americans reduce and shift their consumption to improve quality of life, protect the environment, and promote social justice. The intern will work closely with the Director of Publications to develop various publications and other research materials for the organization.
Responsibilities include: drafting website content, including updating existing site pages and writing articles and blog posts; assisting with the development of New Dream’s Community Action Kit, in particular the forthcoming Guide to Going Local; and helping with general administrative work and other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate for the Research Internship will possess:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and capable of taking initiative on specific projects
- Experience with Internet-based research and writing for the web
- Coursework reflecting interest in and knowledge of the environmental, social, and economic dimensions of sustainability
- Experience working for environmental or other sustainability-oriented organizations, or contributing to local community development, is a plus
The work requires attention to detail and an ability to keep up with the organization’s expanding suite of print and online publications. A curiosity about how the environment relates to social, political, and economic realities and a capacity to see connections across fields and specialties are critical.
This position can be based offsite within the continental United States. Candidates must have access to a computer and the Internet during the hours of employment.
Schedule & Compensation
Interns must be able to commit to at least 3 months of work. Interns will be unpaid and will be expected to work 15–20 hours per week. Academic credit may be offered.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and 2–4 page writing sample to email@example.com with “Research Internship” in the subject line. In addition to explaining why you’d like to work with New Dream, please include the following in your cover letter:
- How much time you would be able to commit each week
- What days and for how long you are available (minimum requirement: 3 months)
This position will remain open until filled.